Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Putting in the Work

I take various medications in order to manage my Diabetes (6 oral and 2 subcutaneous). I also try to watch what I eat and am working to change my mental model on exercise. I also take time to breathe and consider what is happening in my life. I need to know what is causing me stress and how to address it at any given time. Well, all of us do, really.

My go to method for handling the stress in my life was to binge eat, feel guilty, and then fall into a spiral. With the onset of my Diabetes, this was a problem. Carbohydrates metabolize into sugar. Sugars are my problem – one of many.

When I think of Diabetes in general, I feel fear (which leads to anger, which leads to hate, which leads to suffering). I’m told that the pain of it all is inevitable, but suffering is optional. I’m also told that the only way to resolution is through.

You see, the obstacle is the pathway to success. Today’s results show that I’m on the right path and doing the right things.

It’s not just a matter of taking the medications, eating right, and exercising (body, mind, and spirit). It’s also having a strategy of when to take the meds, how much of what to eat, and making the time for what I’m going to call functional motivation.

A simple change in when I take my evening medications over the last two days have yielded incredible results. I’m within the range of where I’m supposed to be. I’ve not been overeating because I am recognizing boredom versus hunger. If I have a bad result, I know it’s going to be temporary as I work to get back on track.

I may get stuck in a mood of desperation. It is likely to happen more sooner than later. I’ll be in that dark place where I feel pitiful and my ego takes over. This is where I have to rely upon my training and education rather than reacting.

Having Diabetes (or any other chronic condition) can be taxing (emotionally, physically, mentally, FINANCIALLY!), and will have unique challenges to each individual. For me, I have to keep going on this particular pathway until something better is developed or discovered.

It is up to me to put in the work in order to maintain and improve my skillset in handling the disease. It is just like everything else we’ve all gone through. It takes work to be better.

I can do it.

I am worth the work.

No comments: