Monday, August 15, 2016

From Stone to Flesh

In the past, I spoke about change and the difficulties that can arise from being stationary. I’ve detailed out how, I specifically, should be tuned to my surroundings and how I should notice when to contemplate and when to take action. I’ve written the words showing my understanding of the necessity of change and how it spawns evolution and breeds adaptability.

Yet, for the majority of this year, I have been metaphorically (and sometimes literally) sitting. Mainly, I’ve been sitting in indecision. I’ve been taking no action other than to think of the possible pathways. I’ve been aging in that time rather than learning.

There has been few words written. Those that have been are edits from the past. There has been little in the way of self-discovery. There has been less in ways and means of physical exercise (or mental for that matter) than there should have been.

Creatively, I’ve been dying a slow death trying to remember past greatness and wondering why these former accomplishments have not been able to move me forward. While it is good to use these past glories as stepping stones, one cannot hope to keep living on past accomplishments and still be moving forward.

Newness needs to be sought out. Not for newness’ sake, but instead for fresh ideas and viewpoints. Thought models and connections need to be experienced and made. In short, the path needs to be walked rather than by sitting.

It needs to be done despite want.

It needs to be done despite ego.

It needs to be done despite fear.

My sedentary lifestyle has infected my mind and has clogged me up. The day job is like many others, sedentary with multiple cycles of repetition. This, however should not be how I define myself.

Once again, I find that I have opened my eyes to find that months have passed by me without meaningful gain. I find that I have not progressed on former goals or have set new ones.

Instead of dedicating my life to the decision, I need to start to take action. This is part of it. This simple act of describing what I want is the first step. I know that I’ve been here at this first step for ages.

It is time to move the bag of bones and generate power.

No comments: