Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Told

Told to follow my feelings
Told that it will not last
Told to not stop dreaming
Told to do it fast

Told to keep my chin up
Told to try my hardest
Told the wounds would clear up
Told I’m an artist

Told to forget about yesterday
Told to look ahead
Told to keep smiling and play
Told to keep my head

Told to toughen up my skin
Told to look around
Told to accept my sins
Told to be unbound

Told that my time will come
Told to shine bright
Told that I’m not so dumb
Told to be the light

Told to be in the moment
Told to be the man
Told to work to pay the rent
Told catch as catch can

Told to play by the rules
Told that life’s no game
Told not to align with fools
Told money’s not the aim

Told that I have to carry on
Told to let it all go
Told that I should meditate upon
Told to be in the know

Told that my age is too young
Told that my mind is old
Told to live and have fun
Told that my words are cold

Told that I’m smart and able
Told I brood and sit
Told I’m valued at the table
Told I’m full of shit

Told I should let my ego fade
Told that I can do
Told I should lay in the bed made
Told to drop the shoe

Told to take the world all in
Told to be the change
Told to throw it in the bin
Told I’m too strange

Told to seek and I shall find
Told that love won’t fade
Told to endure the daily grind
Told it from cradle to grave

Told I’m talented and skilled
Told that I do well
Told that despite feeling ill
I should run go tell

1 comment:

John L. Harmon said...

I jjust kept nodding my head and whispering, "Yup."
TOLD really hit home.