Tuesday, November 1, 2016

Predilection, Bias, and Eschewal


I came upon a graphic on Facebook the other day. It reads:

The world is filled with people who, no matter what you do, will point blank not like you. But it is also filled with those who will love you fiercely. They are your people. You are not for everyone and that’s OK. Talk to the people who can hear you.

Don’t waste your precious time and gifts trying to convince them of your value, they won’t ever want what you’re selling. Don’t convince them to walk alongside you. You’ll be wasting both your time and theirs and will likely inflict unnecessary wounds, which will take precious time to heal. You are not for them and they are not for you; politely wave them on, and continue along your way. Sharing your path with someone is a sacred gift; don’t cheapen this gift by rolling yours in the wrong direction.

Keep facing your true north.


The words are not mine, but do express a sentiment that I’ve been feeling for quite some time. What I give and share is not for everyone. Not everyone seems to enjoy what I have to offer. To that end, I have decided to take a hiatus of sorts. I’ve been hemming and hawing about this for some time and have decided that today is a natural breaking point.

I know that there may be a few people who say that they’ll miss what I have to say and miss the work that I put out here on this blog. I know that there are quite a few more who call me friend and family who have never even given thought about the words I put out. There are still a great deal more who do not count me in their spheres.

My firm belief is that those who count me as friend or family should support my endeavors and help me reach my dreamy goals. It matters to me so, in turn, it should matter to them. I should not have to have to endure the excuses that have been put to me in the past. I should not have to keep holding the feelings of inadequacy and failure that these off-hand ‘jokes’ have caused.

This also is why I have decided to take a break. I need to regroup and work on thickening my skin to the realization that few actually care about what’s important to me or my success. I feel betrayed by many because they do not see my worth or value. In turn, I realize that I have been following that logic instead of appreciating what is inside of me rather than what is seen (or not seen in this case) within myself by others.

I suppose many others like me have had similar feelings and pushed through with assistance from their tribe. The tribe has consoled and provided equal parts compassion and expectation to their artist. My tribe is small, scattered, and have their own lives in their own parts of the world.

No, none of them are in my meatspace locality.

Oddly, those that should be in my tribe are not. They cannot seem to understand that I need their support. They are only aware of the spaces they occupy and my little corner of cyberspace is inconsequential. My visions in dreamspace is invisible. My work, to them, is inconsequential.

I don’t like the way that makes me feel. It taints everything I do. I need to regroup and retask my energy into creating what I need. Should you need to contact me, it is best to email me as I do not know whether or not my social interactions on the various media outlets will last for very much longer or in the capacity that I have used them.

Cheers.



No comments: